Friday, July 19, 2013

Marmalade! Marmalade! Cumquat Marmalade!


Whenever blood orange is in season, I felt the need to make the blood orange/cumquat/leek fish that we love so much.  However, the thing with cumquat is... you must buy a container of it when you only need 4.  There are people whom will insist on HOW sweet & great cumquats are, but I just simply hate them.  I blame it on my mother, I was forever scarred from my childhood memories of being forced to eat it every Chinese New Year!  After 4 days on the counter, I decided to make marmalade.  It's a very simple formula where you can easily substitute the cumquat with orange or even blood orange (great color for marmalade).

In this recipe, it's 1:1:1 ration with fruit, sugar, and water by WEIGHT.  Yes, by weight!  I know it's a hassle to break out your scale even if you do have one, but trust me.. you don't want to wing it as you go with jam/jelly/marmalade!  Since we are keeping the rind (contains pectin), I would recommend organic fruits if you can find them, so you don't have to worry about funky chemicals.


Cumquat Marmalade

100 g    Cumquat
100 g    Sugar
100 g    Water
  • Wash & thinly slice the cumquat.  Pick out seeds
  • Place cumquat, sugar, and water into a pot.  Bring to a boil, stir constantly so it doesn't burn
  • Turn the heat down so it is just simmering for another 1/2 hour or so, until the rind is soft and the liquid is thin.  
  • To check for "gel-ness" by place a small drop on a plate & place in the fridge for a couple minutes.  If the marmalade is ready, it will "gel" like soft jam.
  • Can & lid.  Let cool on the counter top then store in the freezer up to 12 months!


No comments:

Post a Comment